Monday 14 May 2007

Speedcubing is not for the weak-hearted

Speedcubing is currently one of my favourite hobbies! =D

I tried to learn the Fridrich(CFOP) method of solving the Rubik's Cube today.

And I was absolutely flabbergasted at the number of algorithms and cube configurations I had to memorise.

(it's about 50+ algorithms in total?! Refer to www.learn2cube.com)

THEREFORE, I am just going to stick to Tyson Mao's beginner method of solving the cube. Sigh. I'll leave Fridrich method for after the O levels. What a long wait.

I tried 'speed-solving' the cube today... and my timing is 2 minutes 53.73 seconds.
Which is absolutely NOT impressive,(and not exactly speed-solving) since 'speed-solving' the cube means solving the cube under 20 seconds. I'm really far from it for now. =P

(And I believe that around 10 seconds were probably wasted because my cube got constipated! ARGH! Does anyone know where to buy the original Rubik's cube??? =/)

My current aim is to solve it with the beginner's method in 60 seconds. =D hehe.

BTW, if you're interested to learn how to solve the cube, go to Tyson Mao's website at www.tysonmao.com and download his tutorial for beginner cubers. I used it, and I think it's great.(the bad thing about it is that it doesn't have pictorial diagrams...)
www.deepcube.net, on the other hand, provides good diagrams.

And if you're going to visit those sites... Happy Cubing!

No comments: